Every time I take this salad to a cookout or a picnic, I get rave reviews.
Kale, apple and bacon salad recipe
- 2 red apples, cut into long slices
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces kale, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 6 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped shallots (I usually use onions)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- Add cut apples to a small bowl with lemon juice. Toss to coat apples in the juice. This will help keep them from turning brown.
- In a large salad bowl, add kale, apples, bacon and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, shallots, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking to create a smooth and creamy dressing.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine. Store any remaining dressing in the refrigerator.